Hello everyone! Today’s Top Ten Tuesday prompt is Opening Lines, so I’ve decided to share some of the books with my favorite opening lines in them!
Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together.
Books and Their Opening Lines
1) Again, But Better by Christine Riccio
- “I’m leaving the country because I have no friends.”
2) The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
- “Look, I didn’t want to be a half-blood.”
3) The Unhoneymooners by Christina Lauren
- “In the calm before the storm- in this case, the blessed quiet before the bridal suite is overrrun by the wedding party- my twin sister stares critically down at a freshly painted shell-pink fingernail and says, “I bet you’re relieved I’m not a bridezilla.”
4) To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before by Jenny Han
- “Josh is Margot’s boyfriend, but I guess you could say my whole family is a little in love with him. It’s hard to say who most of all.”
5) Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas
- “After a year of slavery in the Salt Mines of Endovier, Celaena Sardothien was accustomed to being escorted everywhere in shackles and at sword-point.”
6) Cress by Marissa Meyer
- “Her satellite made one full orbit around planet Earth every sixteen hours. It was a prison that came with an endlessly breathtaking view- vast blue oceans and swirling clouds and sunrises that set half the world on fire.”
7) The Kiss of Deception by Mary E. Pearson
- “Today was the day a thousand dreams would die and a single dream would be born.”
8) Scythe by Neal Shusterman
- “We must, by law, keep a record of the innocents we kill. And as I see it, they’re all innocents. Even the guilty.”
9) The Alchemyst by Michael Scott
- “I am legend. Death has no claim over me, illness cannot touch me.”
10) It’s Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini
- “It’s hard to talk when you want to kill yourself. That’s above and beyond everything else, and it’s not a mental complaint- it’s a physical thing, like it’s physically hard to open your mouth and make the words come out.”
Do you have favorite opening lines? I was surprised to realize that some of my favorite books didn’t have great opening lines😂
Feel free to link to your TTT in the comments, and if you want to participate in future TTT prompts, you can find the schedule at this link.
Thanks for reading, have a good day and stay safe!