Hello everyone! Today I’m bringing you a review for a sweet book about falling for royalty and believing in yourself.
Title: Her Royal Highness
Author: Rachel Hawkins
Genre: YA Romance
Content warnings: loss of parent, cheating
Unspoilery Blurb (Taken from Goodreads)
Millie Quint is devastated when she discovers that her sort-of-best friend/sort-of-girlfriend has been kissing someone else. And because Millie cannot stand the thought of confronting her ex every day, she decides to apply for scholarships to boarding schools . . . the farther from Houston the better.
Millie can’t believe her luck when she’s accepted into one of the world’s most exclusive schools, located in the rolling highlands of Scotland. Everything about Scotland is different: the country is misty and green; the school is gorgeous, and the students think Americans are cute.
The only problem: Mille’s roommate Flora is a total princess.
She’s also an actual princess. Of Scotland.
At first, the girls can barely stand each other–Flora is both high-class and high-key–but before Millie knows it, she has another sort-of-best-friend/sort-of-girlfriend. Even though Princess Flora could be a new chapter in her love life, Millie knows the chances of happily ever afters are slim . . . after all, real life isn’t a fairy tale . . . or is it?
That was a cute book! I wish it was a little deeper because it seemed to deal with pretty surface level problems, but I did have a good time reading it! Millie was a fun main character, and I loved hearing her sweet, excited perspective on school, politics, and life in Scotland. Princess Flora was also fun, dramatic, and interesting. It was wonderful to see her come to life and warm up to Millie.
This book was incredibly fantastical and cheesy, and I loved the school setting and all the friends. Saks and Perry were some of my favorite parts about school, and I also loved when Millie FaceTimed Lee and her family. They were all such great side characters and I wish we had more of them in this book!
Overall, this was a fun, fluffy book that was easy to read and put a smile on my face! I recommend it to anyone looking for a sweet, uplifting read about studying abroad, living with royals, and falling in love.
Some of my favorite parts about this book are:
- All the rocks! I thought it was funny that Millie has a thing for rocks and geology, and I enjoyed Flora making fun of her rock fetish.
- Saks’ descriptions were hilarious, and I have such a funny mental image of her being this tall, perfect, Amazonian woman now 😂
- Flora’s brother! He was fun, and I love him and Millie bonding at the bar when they went out.
- The school. It sounded lovely, and I’m jealous of all the rain that they kept getting!
- I can’t believe that Flora threw out their packs and didn’t think about the lack of cell service! That was actually kind of hilarious, but also pretty annoying!
- The trip to the Isle Skye was beautiful! The ball was lovely, and their dance in the Orangery was perfect! I wanted them to kiss so badly!
- Flora posting the picture of the two of them on Millie’s Instagram and startling her! Such a Flora thing to do!
- I hated that they got moved to separate rooms when they got back to school, but it did seem to keep their relationship thriving.
- Their fight was upsetting, and it bothered me that they never really talked about what happened. I wanted them to discuss balance and what they’ll do in the face of adversity and all that.
- As it is, Millie’s declaration of love at the parade was sweet, and I’m glad they’re happy.
My main problem with this story was that the pacing felt way off, and I wanted a more complete feeling ending. Also, I wish we had seen our main characters face the adversity sure to come their way for being a queer royal couple from completely different upbringings as opposed to just glossing over those giant issues. I feel like I didn’t get to see our characters fully grow in this book, but I did enjoy the parts that were there!
All in all, I really enjoyed this cute read! Although it wasn’t my favorite book ever, I did have a great time reading this sweet, sapphic romance with royals!
Have you read this book? What did you think? Let me know! I’d love to hear your thoughts!
Be safe, Stay strong, and Change the World!!! ❤️🏳️🌈✊🏿✊🏾✊🏽✊🏼✊🏻🏳️🌈❤️
Use the links below to add this book on Goodreads or purchase it from Amazon or Book Depository.