Hello everyone! Today I’m bringing you guys a review for an amazing book that I recently read about life, love, time, and making peace with the darkness.
Title: The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue
Author: V.E. Schwab
Genre: Historical Fantasy
Unspoilery Blurb (Blurb From Goodreads)
France, 1714: in a moment of desperation, a young woman makes a Faustian bargain to live forever and is cursed to be forgotten by everyone she meets.
Thus begins the extraordinary life of Addie LaRue, and a dazzling adventure that will play out across centuries and continents, across history and art, as a young woman learns how far she will go to leave her mark on the world.
But everything changes when, after nearly 300 years, Addie stumbles across a young man in a hidden bookstore and he remembers her name.
Wow. Just wow. This book was breathtaking. It was so complicated and beautiful. The story was marvelous, the writing was addicting, and the characters were stunning. I loved the history woven throughout this book during Addie’s life, and I adored discussing love, life, and loss. This book was both dark and hopeful, cunning and refreshing. I had such an amazing time reading this story!
Addie was such a fascinating main character. I immediately fell in love with her, but I soon realized all her flaws and issues. We could see her becoming cunning and learning to play the game with the devil, but we could always see her humanity shining through. I adored hearing of all the ways Addie popped up in history, and it was fascinating to read a book about a main character who everyone forgets.
Henry was an intriguing character who did grow on me. He was not my favorite, but I did think he was sweet and kind. I loved that him and Addie had such a great connection, and it was interesting to read about his struggles with depression and anxiety.
Luc was breathtaking. His character was so well- developed and creepy. I loved how big of a role he played in this book, and I found everything about him beautifully dark and wild.
Overall, this was a stunning, beautiful book that I highly recommend! You should read this book if you enjoy descriptive writing about a fascinating life filled with history, love, and intrigue.
There is so much I could discuss about this book, but I am going to try to keep it short! I want to start by saying that I found this book to be perfectly dark. I loved that Addie and Henry understood each other and had such a connection, but I also found Addie and Luc’s relationship completely fascinating. The role that Luc played in both their stories was intriguing, and he was such a fun character. I honestly love how dark the ending was, and I hope that Addie breaks Luc after saving Henry!
Some of my favorite parts are:
- Addie freeing herself from marriage only to realize that she was erased from the world. This part was strange and fun to read. It was so complicated, but interesting!
- Luc appearing in the form of her dream man was rude but amusing. The games they played were strange and exciting.
- Watching Addie experience everything changing in the world and growing around her.
- Seeing how Addie left her mark on pieces of art. This was such a fun concept, and I adored it!
- Henry remembering Addie and getting mad at her for trying to cheat him! I could feel Addie breaking when she realizes he remembers her and can say her name. Oh my gosh, this was precious!
- Their date to the art place and all the other romantic places they go to! Oh! Especially when Addie realized that Henry could write her name!
- How supportive Henry was of Addie’s oddities the whole time– although he did disapprove of the stealing which makes sense! 😜
- Seeing Addie find Luc controlling speak-easys and bars. They totally had insane chemistry, and I was so weirdly there for it!
- Henry and Addie trying to live normal lives was precious, and I’m so sad they had to separate.
- Luc giving Addie a house and their falling out. All this was intriguing, and I loved learning about their history!
- The dark ending with Addie giving her soul to Luc and plotting to take revenge later. This gives the book such an open-ended feel which completely matched the book itself.
- Henry remembering Addie and publishing her book anonymously. I love the dedication, and this is so sweet and amazing.
This book was beautifully written, and I hope you all read and enjoy it!
Have you read this book? What did you think? Let me hear your thoughts! 🥰
Be safe, Stay strong, and Change the world!!! ❤️🎉✊🏿✊🏽✊🏾✊🏼✊🏻🏳️🌈❤️
Use the links below to add this book on Goodreads or purchase it from Amazon or Book Depository.