Hello everyone! Today I’m bringing you a review for the amazing conclusion of one of my favorite middle grade book series- The Trials of Apollo!
Title: The Tower of Nero
Author: Rick Riordan
Series: Book 5 of The Trials of Apollo
(like literally no spoilers for the whole series because my husband hates spoilers and I’m aware of them 😂)
When the Greek god, Apollo, was cast down to Earth and stuck in the body of an unathletic, teenage boy, Lester, he cannot believe his bad luck. As this series has progressed, we see Apollo facing many challenges to regain control of his oracles to regain his godhood and return to Mount Olympus. In this stunning conclusion, Apollo and his friends must face the final antagonists in a battle that could mean the end of prophecies and the future as we know it.
This was such a great book and a lovely ending to the Trials of Apollo series and Rick Riordan’s Greek stories. I have read and loved these books since I was in fifth grade, and they will always hold a special place in my heart. This was such a heartwarming, wonderful ending- even though I wish they could go on forever so I can keep seeing all my babies grow up!!🥰
The Tower of Nero was a funny, climactic book full of adventure, challenges, and friends. I have loved seeing Apollo grow throughout this series, and this book had such amazing characterization and dialogue. I highly recommend this series to anyone who enjoys fantastical stories packed with humor and love.
Since this is the last book in a 5 book series, there’s not a ton that I can say without spoiling you except that I enjoyed this book and I appreciated that it picked up right where the last one left off! 🙃
Unspoilery Blurb for Book 5
(to read if you’ve already read the other books in this series but want to know about this book! Taken from Goodreads)
Lester’s demigod friends at Camp Jupiter just helped him survive attacks from bloodthirsty ghouls, an evil Roman king and his army of the undead, and the lethal emperors Caligula and Commodus. Now the former god and his demigod master Meg must follow a prophecy uncovered by Ella the harpy. Lester’s final challenge will be at the Tower of Nero, back in New York. Will Meg have a last showdown with her father? Will this helpless form of Apollo have to face his arch nemesis, Python? Who will be on hand at Camp Half-Blood to assist?
This book was great! I loved seeing all our characters grow and succeed! Although I grew to love Apollo and Meg, honestly my favorite part of this book was Nico and Will! They are absolutely phenomenal and I love them so freaking much!
Ok, anyway so some of my favorite parts about this book are:
- Apollo slowly getting his godlike powers back at random points during the book
- Meeting and falling in love with Lu. I definitely distrusted her at first, but by the end of the book I adored her!
- Seeing Sally and Paul!!! I adore Percy’s mom, and it was great to see her daughter and how supportive she was of Percy and all demigods! I love this family so much!!
- When Apollo threw Lu off the building 😂
- Niccccoooooo and Will!!!!!!! They are amazing. I feel like I have literally seen Nico grow up, so it was so nice to see him take a front seat in the action for this book. He is so powerful and cool! Also, I loved that Will was there to support Nico and be his light in the darkness (literally and figuratively! 🥰)
- Rachel! She is such a fun, sassy character, and it was fun to see her more actively playing a part in the action!
- The Troglodytes! They were both terrifying and funny, threatening and loyal. I enjoyed getting to know this amusing race, and they really pulled through for our heroes in this book! They are some incredibly powerful allies!
- When Nero sees through their plan and steals Meg and imprisons Apollo and Lu! 😱
- I love Lu’s silverware hands. Although the daggers are probably more effective 😂
- Jason Grace played such an important role in Apollo’s character development, so it was nice to have him “speaking” to Apollo throughout this book.
- The whole climactic scene of Camp Half Blood attacking Nero’s Tower was crazy! There was so much happening, and I am so proud of all our heroes. Nero is such a jerk, but at least he couldn’t find the right remote 😜. I loved seeing Meg fight back, and Nico taming the evil bull was fantastic.
- Apollo leaving to fight Python alone was awful, but I actually enjoyed the Arrow of Dodona being with him!
- Python was so evil and awful, and their fight falling through the earth was intense! Even though I was confident that Apollo would regain his godhood, I was still stressed out about what would happen!
- The end was adorable!!! I loved seeing how Apollo had changed compared to his old self (and the rest of the Olympians), and all his goodbyes were precious. I adored seeing everyone again!! Camp Half Blood was so sweet and fun! Nico and Will are totally going on a wonderful quest soon (WHICH I WOULD 1000% READ ABOUT!!!). We got to see Percy and Annabeth which is always fantastic! Meg is wonderful, and I loved watching her and Apollo catch up after everything.
All in all, this was a stunning book and I am so glad that I read it (even though I am so sad that it is over!!!).
Have you read this book? Do you like Rick Riordan books? What is your favorite?!
Let me know in the comments!
Be safe, Stay strong, and Change the World!!! ❤️🏳️🌈✊🏿✊🏾✊🏽✊🏼✊🏻🏳️🌈❤️
Use the links below to add this book on Goodreads or purchase it from Amazon or Book Depository.